Documate is now Gavel! Read more about why we’re excited about this rebrand.

Alameda: Filing a Domestic Violence Restraining Order

Alameda County Domestic Violence Restraining Order FAQs

HelpSelf's county-specific resources will help you file a domestic violence restraining order (DVRO) in your county. This article explains how to file a DVRO in Alameda County.

  • Where to file:

You can file your papers in person at the following three courthouses:George E. McDonald Hall of Justice, 2233 Shoreline Drive Alameda, CA 94501Hayward Hall of Justice, 24405 Amador Street Hayward, CA 94544René C. Davidson Courthouse, 1225 Fallon Street Oakland, CA 94612Note: Although your papers may be filed at any of these three courthouses, your hearing will be held at either George E. McDonald Hall of Justice or Hayward Hall of Justice. DVRO hearings are not held at René C. Davidson Courthouse.

  • Who can help review my paperwork?

The Alameda Family Violence Law Center (FVLC) and Bay Area Legal Aid can help you complete your paperwork. Contact them at the numbers below for more information:

You can contact the FVLC at 1-800-947-8301 or 510-208-0220.You can contact Bay Area Legal Aid at 510-663-4744.

The Self-Help/Family Law Facilitator's office can also assist with your forms. Find the schedule and information for here.

  • How do I file my forms?
  • (1) File your forms in person with the court.
  • (2) It usually takes between 24-48 hours for the judge to make a decision on the temporary restraining order. The court will tell you when to return to pick up your papers.
  • (3) Come back to pick up your papers at the time the court told you to.
  • (4) Review the papers to see if your order was granted.
  • Do I have to give notice to the Respondent before I file my temporary restraining order forms?

No. Alameda does not require you to give notice to the Respondent before filing your initial temporary restraining order forms.But remember, you will still need to serve the document on the Respondent at least 5 days before the hearing date listed on your DV-109.Also, there are no local Alameda court DVRO forms.

  • Who can serve my papers on Respondent?

Respondent must be served at least five days before the hearing. The Sheriff's office will serve your papers for free. You can also have someone over the age of 18 who is not party to the case hand-deliver the documents to the person to be restrained. More information here.

Documate Newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter to get product updates, exclusive client interviews, and more.

Start a free trial, or
chat with our team today:

By clicking “Accept”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our Privacy Policy for more information.
/* Footer script */