Documate is now Gavel! Read more about why we’re excited about this rebrand.

Los Angeles: Filing a Domestic Violence Restraining Order

Los Angeles County Domestic Violence Restraining Order FAQs

HelpSelf's county-specific resources will help you file a domestic violence restraining order (DVRO) in your county. This article explains how to file a DVRO in Los Angeles County.

  • Where to file:

You can file your papers in person at the following Family Law courthouses, depending on where you live in LA. Make sure to check the court website here to find the right court for your zipcode. DVROs should be filed in the Family Law courthouse.Central Civil West Courthouse, 600 South Commonwealth Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90005Chatsworth Courthouse, 9425 Penfield Ave. Chatsworth, CA 91311Compton Courthouse, 200 West Compton Blvd. Compton, CA 90220Long Beach - Governor George Deukmejian Courthouse 275 Magnolia, Long Beach, CA 90802Michael Antonovich Antelope Valley Courthouse, 42011 4th Street West Lancaster, CA 93534Norwalk Courthouse, 12720 Norwalk Blvd. Norwalk, CA 90650Pasadena Courthouse, 300 East Walnut St. Pasadena, CA 91101Pomona Courthouse South, 400 Civic Center Plaza Pomona, CA 91766Santa Monica Courthouse, 1725 Main Street Santa Monica, CA 90401Stanley Mosk Courthouse, 111 North Hill Street Los Angeles, CA 90012Torrance Courthouse, 825 Maple Ave. Torrance, CA 90503Van Nuys Courthouse, East 6230 Sylmar Ave. Van Nuys, CA 91401

  • Who can help review my paperwork?

Some LA County courthouses provide assistance filing out your DVRO papers. Check the link here to see the most recent schedule posted by the court. Please call ahead before you go, as the court is sometimes delayed in updating the schedule online.

  • How do I file my forms?
  • (1) File your forms in person.
  • (2) File your papers before 3:30 p.m. if you want to get your order the same day.
  • (3) Pick up your papers from the courthouse specified by the court.
  • If you filed your papers before 3:30 p.m., you can usually pick them up the same day.
  • If you filed your papers after 3:30 p.m., you will likely need to wait until the next court day.
  • (6) Review the papers to see if your order was granted.
  • Do I have to give notice to the Respondent before I file my temporary restraining order forms?

Not necessarily. Los Angeles does not require you to give notice to the Respondent before filing your initial temporary restraining order forms, but you must submit the local form titled "Declaration Re: Notice of Ex Parte Request (No Notice Given) (Temporary Restraining Order)." If you did not give notice, you must complete the second page of the link checking the box for why you did not give notice.Remember, you will also still need to serve the document on the Respondent at least 5 days before the hearing date listed on your DV-109.

  • Who can serve my papers on Respondent?

Respondent must be served at least five days before the hearing. The Sheriff's office will serve your papers for free. You can also have someone over the age of 18 who is not party to the case hand-deliver the documents to the person to be restrained. More information here.

Documate Newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter to get product updates, exclusive client interviews, and more.

Start a free trial, or
chat with our team today:

By clicking “Accept”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our Privacy Policy for more information.