Documate is now Gavel! Read more about why we’re excited about this rebrand.

Riverside County: Filing a Domestic Violence Restraining Order

Riverside County Domestic Violence Restraining Order FAQs

HelpSelf's county-specific resources will help you file a domestic violence restraining order (DVRO) in your county. This article explains how to file a DVRO in Riverside County.

  • Where to file:

You can file your papers in person or by e-fax.Riverside Family Law Courthouse4175 Main StreetRiverside, CA 92501Hemet Courthouse880 N. State StreetHemet, CA 92543Indio Larson Justice Center46-200 Oasis StreetIndio, CA 92201Blythe Courthouse265 N. BroadwayBlythe, CA 92225To file your papers by e-fax, go to Riverside Superior Court's Electronic Fax Filing Page.

  • Who can help review my paperwork?

The Riverside Legal Aid clinic schedule can be found here.The Inland Empire Latino Lawyers Association clinic schedule can be found here.The Legal Aid Society of San Bernardino clinic schedule can be found here.You can also request a domestic violence restraining order at any of the safe haven locations here.

  • How do I file my forms?
  • (1) File your forms, either in person or by e-fax at the link here.
  • (2) File your papers before 2:00 p.m. if you want to get your order the same day.
  • (3) Pick up your papers from the courthouse specified by the court. The courthouse is open Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., except court holidays.
  • Call the court to find out when your papers will be ready: (760) 393-2617
  • If you filed your papers before 2:00 p.m., you can usually pick them up the same day.
  • If you filed your papers after 2:00 p.m., you will likely need to wait until the next court day.
  • (6) Review the papers to see if your order was granted.
  • Do I have to give notice to the Respondent before I file my temporary restraining order forms?

No. Riverside does not require you to give notice to the Respondent before filing your initial temporary restraining order forms.But remember, you will still need to serve the document on the Respondent at least 5 days before the hearing date listed on your DV-109.Riverside does require local cover sheet forms, which can be accessed here (without children) and here (with children).

  • Who can serve my papers on Respondent?

Respondent must be served at least five days before the hearing. The Sheriff's office will serve your papers for free. You can also have someone over the age of 18 who is not party to the case hand-deliver the documents to the person to be restrained. More information here.

Documate Newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter to get product updates, exclusive client interviews, and more.

Start a free trial, or
chat with our team today:

By clicking “Accept”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our Privacy Policy for more information.
/* Footer script */