Documate is now Gavel! Read more about why we’re excited about this rebrand.

Sacramento County: Filing a Domestic Violence Restraining Order

Sacramento County Domestic Violence Restraining Order FAQs

HelpSelf's county-specific resources will help you file a domestic violence restraining order (DVRO) in your county. This article explains how to file a DVRO in Sacramento County.

  • Where to file:

Sacramento Superior CourtWilliam Ridgeway Family Relations Courthouse,3341 Power Inn RoadSacramento, CA 95826

  • Who can help review my paperwork?

The court offers a free workshop on form preparation, and a Spanish interpreter is available:

Where: Self-Help Computer Room, Room 113AWhen: Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 8:45 a.m. (you must arrive on time)

  • How do I file my forms?
  • (1) Bring one copy of your original forms. You do not need to bring photocopies. The court will make copies for you.
  • (2) Take your forms to the court clerk in Room 100, on the first floor in family law filing.
  • (3) Take a number from the Information Booth.
  • (4) File your papers before 2:00 p.m. if you want to get your order the same day.
  • (5) Pick up your papers:
  • If you filed your papers before 2:00 p.m., you can go to Room 102 at 3:45 p.m. on the same day to pick up your papers.
  • If you filed your papers after 2:00 p.m., go to Room 102 at 3:45 p.m. the next court day
  • You do not need to go to the Information Booth or take a number when you return for pick up).
  • (6) Review the papers to see if your order was granted.
  • Do I have to give notice to the Respondent before I file my temporary restraining order forms?

No. Sacramento does not require you to give notice to the Respondent before filing your initial temporary restraining order forms.But remember, you will still need to serve the document on the Respondent at least 5 days before the hearing date listed on your DV-109.

  • Who can serve my papers on Respondent?

Respondent must be served at least five days before the hearing. The Sheriff's office will serve your papers for free. You can also have someone over the age of 18 who is not party to the case hand-deliver the documents to the person to be restrained. More information here.

  • Can I get an interpreter?

Contact the court at (916) 875-2620.More information available at the Sacramento County Public Law Library.

Documate Newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter to get product updates, exclusive client interviews, and more.

Start a free trial, or
chat with our team today:

By clicking “Accept”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our Privacy Policy for more information.
/* Footer script */