Documate is now Gavel! Read more about why we’re excited about this rebrand.

San Diego: Filing a Domestic Violence Restraining Order

San Diego County Domestic Violence Restraining Order FAQs

HelpSelf's county-specific resources will help you file a domestic violence restraining order (DVRO) in your county. This article explains how to file a DVRO in San Diego County.

  • Where to file:

You can file your papers in person at the following courthouses:New Central Courthouse1100 Union St.San Diego, CA 92101North County Regional Center325 South MelroseVista, CA 92081East County Regional Center250 East Main St.El Cajon, CA 92020South County Regional Center500 3rd Ave.Chula Vista, CA 91910

  • Who can help review my paperwork?

Each of the San Diego family courthouses has a Family Law Facilitator's Office, who can help you on a first-come first-served basis. You can access the hours of operation here.The Legal Aid Society of San Diego's domestic violence restraining order clinic can also help you at the South County Courthouse, Room 155 on Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (you must arrive by 3:30 p.m.). More information about the clinic can be found here.The San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program's clinic schedule can be found here.

  • How do I file my forms?
  • (1) File your forms in person.
  • (2) File your papers before 3:30 p.m. if you want to get your order the same day.
  • (3) Pick up your papers from the courthouse specified by the court.
  • If you filed your papers before 3:30 p.m., you can usually pick them up the same day.
  • If you filed your papers after 3:30 p.m., you will likely need to wait until the next court day.
  • (6) Review the papers to see if your order was granted.
  • Do I have to give notice to the Respondent before I file my temporary restraining order forms?

No. San Diego does not require you to give notice to the Respondent before filing your initial temporary restraining order forms.But remember, you will still need to serve the document on the Respondent at least 5 days before the hearing date listed on your DV-109.

  • Who can serve my papers on Respondent?

Respondent must be served at least five days before the hearing. The Sheriff's office will serve your papers for free. You can also have someone over the age of 18 who is not party to the case hand-deliver the documents to the person to be restrained. More information here.

Documate Newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter to get product updates, exclusive client interviews, and more.

Start a free trial, or
chat with our team today:

By clicking “Accept”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our Privacy Policy for more information.
/* Footer script */